St. Mary’s Church came into existence in April 1923 as a gift from the well known John family of Agra, in memory of Mrs. Mary John. They also donated the adjoining compound with a large bungalow in it for the maintenance of the Church and the chaplain.
The foundation stone of this Church was laid in April 1920 and on its completion, was blessed by Archbishop Raphael Bernachioni on April 5th, 1923. The Church was dedicated to Mary, Mother of Good Council but around 1968 at the request of the H.A.L. employees, the dedication was changed by Archbishop Dominic Athaide to Mary Mother of Good Health, after the Shrine of Our Lady of Velankani.
The Church came to fulfill the long felt need of the residents of the locality because they found the Cathedral and St. Patrick’s Church, Agra Cantt too far for them to attend. Similarly, the Jesus & Mary nuns seeing the difficulty of the Catholics, established St. Anthony’s school in the vicinity of the Church. The compound adjoining the Church was made over to the Missionaries of Charity by the Archbishop in 1961. In 1964 Shishu Bhavan, a home for the abandoned, crippled and the mentally retarded children was opened. Prem Dan, a home for the aged and dying destitutes was opened in 1980.